- 6 (7 to 8 ounce) tuna loins
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 cups fine cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons salad oil
- Fufu, recipe follows
- Chayote Slaw, recipe follows
- Smoked Tomato Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Serving suggestions: fried plantains and grilled shrimp
Season the tuna with salt and pepper.
Coat the tuna with the mustard using a pastry brush.
You will need three bowls. In one bowl, mix the ginger and zests into the cornmeal. Put flour in a second bowl. Put eggs in a third bowl.
Dredge the tuna first in the flour then in the eggs and finally in the corn meal. Let dry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Heat a saute pan, and add oil. Put the tuna in the pan and brown on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Slice tuna and assemble with Fufu, Chayote Slaw, and Smoked Tomato Vinaigrette. Garnish with fried plantains and grilled shrimp if desired.
- 6 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 ripe plantain peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
Fry the bacon in a hot skillet together with onions until bacon is crisp and onions caramelize. Remove from the heat. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add plantains, reduce heat, and simmer until soft, about 15 to 18 minutes. Drain and transfer the plantains to a mixing bowl and mash. Add bacon and onions. Keep warm.
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 3 chayote, julienne
- 2 cups julienne green cabbage
- 1 seedless cucumber, julienne
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 cup julienne jicama
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped habanero, optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Whisk the sour cream in a large mixing bowl until smooth, then add the vinegar, lime juice, and oil. Stir in all the remaining ingredients. Correct the seasonings by adding salt, pepper, or vinegar, to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Smoked Tomato Vinaigrette:
- 12 ripe plum tomatoes halved crosswise
- 1 cup salad oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the tomatoes in a perforated pan over a smoker on high heat until wisps of smoke begin to appear. Tightly cover the smoker and reduce the heat to medium. Smoke the tomatoes until hot and soft, about 25 to 30 minutes. Place the smoked tomatoes, oil, and seasonings in a blender at high speed until smooth. Adjust seasonings.