- 2 whole chickens
- 3 pounds ground spicy sausage
- 2 pounds bacon, chunked
- 5 pounds onions, chopped
- 3 pounds celery, chopped
- 2 1/2 gallons green and red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound garlic cloves, peeled
- Freshly ground black and white pepper
- Cayenne pepper, for seasoning
- Bay leaves
- Hot sauce
- 1 gallon canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 gallon canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 gallon canned whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 gallons canned mushrooms
- 2 pounds butter
- 3 pounds hot and spicy smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 pounds ham, chunked
- 3 pounds shrimp
- 3 pounds rice
In a large pot over medium-high heat add chickens and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the chickens are cooked through. Remove the bones, setting aside the chicken meat and broth.
In a large pot over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Add the onions, celery, green and red peppers, and garlic cloves. Cook until the vegetables sweat. Add all seasonings and the hot sauce, to taste. Stir together. Add the chicken broth as needed and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, corn, and mushrooms. Add additional spices, to taste. Add the reserved chicken meat, reserved ground sausage, butter, smoked sausage, and ham. Add additional chicken broth as needed and return to a boil. Add the shrimp and continue to cook. When the shrimp are cooked through, determine that there is enough liquid to cook the rice. Add additional chicken broth, if needed. Add the rice and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low. The jambalaya is finished when the rice is fully cooked. Serve in large bowls.
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.