- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 cups Carolina Gold Grain rice or long-grain white rice
- 2 cups vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice, or 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart chicken stock, recipe follows
Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp in a large skillet or saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid. Remove bacon and reserve for garnish. Pour off some of the bacon grease, leaving about 1/4 cup of it in the pan. Add the rice and saute over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. It will begin to turn white after a few minutes; do not let it scorch or brown. Add the tomatoes and continue to saute until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the salt and stock (omit salt if you are using canned stock). Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving. Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish with the reserved bacon.
Note: A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
- 2 pounds chicken backs, necks, and scraps, with the fat, or a chicken carcass, with the bones cracked
- 1 large unpeeled onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, broken into pieces
- 1 celery rib, broken into pieces
- Bouquet garni of fresh parsley, thyme, and a bay leaf
- 2 quarts water
Brown the chicken pieces in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, taking care not to burn them or let them stick to the pan. Add the vegetables, herbs, and water and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours or until liquid is reduced by half, skimming any scum from the surface from time to time. Strain out the solids, cool, and refrigerate the stock. Remove and discard the chicken fat when it congeals on the surface. Fill an ice cube tray with some of the stock and freeze it to use later. Use the remaining stock in a soup recipe, to cook rice in, or for sauce.
Yield: about 3 cups