- 3 cups dry anasazi beans
- 1 strip apple smoked bacon, diced 1/4-inch
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp NY state white cheddar
Rinse anasazi beans under cold water. Place in a saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When beans are done drain off remaining liquid and cool slightly. Beans should be soft.
In a large hot saute pan, add the bacon and saute until crisp. Then add the salsa, cooked beans, 1/4 cup of milk, and seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes. In a food processor add the bean mixture and cheese and pulse until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add the rest of the milk. Check seasonings and adjust to taste. Serve immediately.