Frangipane Tart with Strawberries
- Pate brisee, recipe follows
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon almond-flavored liqueur, like Amaretto
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam, melted and strained
- Pbte Brisee:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Roll out the pate brisee dough 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface, fit it into an 11 by 8-inch rectangular or 10 or 11-inch round tart pan with a removable fluted rim, and chill the shell while making the frangipane.
In a small bowl cream together the butter and the sugar and beat in the egg, the almonds, the almond extract, the almond flavored liqueur, and the flour. Spread the frangipane evenly on the bottom of the shell and bake the tart in the middle of a preheated 375 degree F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the shell is pale golden. (If the frangipane begins to turn too brown, cover the tart loosely with a piece of foil.) Let the tart cool.
Cut the strawberries lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices, arrange the slices, overlapping, decoratively with the raspberries in rows on the frangipane, and brush them gently with the jam.Pbte Brisee:
In a large bowl blend the flour, the butter, the vegetable shortening, and salt until the mixture resembles meal. Add 2 tablespoons ice water, toss the mixture until the water is incorporated, adding more ice water if necessary to form a dough, and form the dough into a ball. Dust the dough with flour and chill it, wrapped in waxed paper, for 1 hour.