French Bread Pudding
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 Tbs. butter, softened (1 stick)
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 pint heavy cream (2 cups)
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/4 -cup raisins
- 12 slices of fresh or stale French bread, 1-inch thick
- BOURBON SAUCE (listed below): (makes 1 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream or canned evaporated milk
- 1 cinnamon stick or dash of ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter or margarine
- 1/2 -tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. bourbon
- 1/4 -cup additional water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins, mixing well. Pour into a 9-inch square pan 1-3/4 inches deep. Arrange bread slices flat in the egg mixture and let stand for 5 minutes to soak up the liquid. Turn bread over and let stand for 10 minutes longer, then push it down so it is covered by the egg mixture (do not break bread). Set pan in larger pan filled with water to 1/2-inch from top and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45-50 minutes, uncovering pudding for the last 10 minutes to brown the top. When done, custard should be soft, not firm.
BOURBON SAUCE: Combine sugar, cream/evaporated milk, cinnamon, and butter/margarine in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixed with 1/4-cup water. Cook, stirring, until sauce is clear. Remove from heat and stir in whiskey.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.