French Toast with Caramelized Pecans, Strawberries and Cream
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 (1 1/2-inch thick) slices stale brioche
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Special equipment: food processor
In a medium bowl, mix together strawberries and 1/2 cup of sugar. Set aside.
In a baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Place bread slices in pan and soak on each side until well coated and soaked through. In a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Remove and drain the bread slices and cook until golden turning once, about 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, add the pecans, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. Stir until sugar has melted and pecans are coated and sticky. Serve French toast with dollop of cream, sticky pecans and strawberries.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson