- 4 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves (about 8 ounces weighed with stems on)
- 4 to 5 peeled cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For each 1/4 cup, add 2 tablespoons chopped pine nuts and or 2 to 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Rinse the basil well and pat dry. In a food processor, puree basil with garlic until coarsely chopped. While the processor is running, slowly drizzle in the oil and process until finely pureed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
USES: Grill or broil some sword fish and each portion with a tablespoonful or so of basil puree. Spoon a tablespoonful or so into each portion of canned vegetable soup.