Fresh Okra with Tomatoes and Ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (2 by 1 1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3 large tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound small fresh okra, untrimmed
Pulse garlic and ginger in a food processor until finely chopped and transfer to a 12-inch heavy skillet. Add oil and red pepper flakes, to taste, and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Pulse tomatoes with salt and black pepper in processor until coarsely chopped and stir into oil in skillet. Cook, uncovered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in okra and simmer, covered, until just tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine