Salsa Guajillos y Cacahuates:
- 2 cups water
- 4 guajillos, stemmed and seeded
- 2 anchos, stemmed and seeded
- 5 chile de arbols, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 1/2 cups cups water
- 10 bunches thyme
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds boneless pork butt diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds lard
- Warm corn tortillas, as an accompaniment
- Sliced radishes, as an accompaniment
- Shredded lettuce, as an accompaniment
For the salsa: In a small saucepot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
In a cast iron skillet, toast the chiles until they start to smoke and blister. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
In the same cast iron skillet, toast the tomatillo, onion, and garlic until soft and they char a little.
For the carnitas: In a large stockpot, heat 2 1/2 cups of water with the thyme, oregano, white onion, garlic, and salt. When it comes to a boil add the diced pork butt and cook covered for 1 hour. Remove and drain.