Fried Ginger-Blueberry Pie with Lemon Cream
- Grapeseed oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 pints fresh blueberries, plus 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, for plating
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 4 large egg roll skins
- 1 cup whipped cream, slightly sweetened
- Maple syrup, for plating
- Powdered sugar, for plating
Preheat a large skillet or saute pan with 1 inch of oil, on medium heat.
In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute the ginger until soft. Add the blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice and simmer for 10 minutes until soft. Whisk in the cornstarch, stir 3 minutes, and let cool.
Place small mound of filling on in the center of the egg roll skin and slightly wet edges. Fold over for a very tight seal. Shallow fry both sides until brown, about 2 minutes a side. Meanwhile, mix the zest with the whipped cream. Plating: Place small mound of leftover filling on a small plate. Place the pie on top. Drizzle with Maple syrup. Top with cream and powdered sugar. Garnish with remaining berries.