Fried Goat Cheese Salad with Grilled Sweet Corn
- 1 ear corn, shucked 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 10 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 eggs 2 cups panko crumbs Salt
- 10 ounces baby greens 1/2 lemon, juiced
Freshly ground black pepper Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill, turning often, until charred and tender, about 4 minutes. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine goat cheese, zest and parsley. Roll into 16 (1-inch) sized balls and put on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
In a large heavy-bottomed pot, add enough oil to reach 1/3 of the way up the sides. Heat oil to 360 degrees F. Whisk eggs in a small bowl and place panko crumbs on a plate. Dip cheese balls in the egg wash, then roll in the panko crumbs. In batches, carefully transfer balls into the hot oil and fry until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt immediately. Slice corn from cob and add to a serving bowl along with the baby greens. Dress with lemon juice, oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to coat and serve, topped with warm cheese balls.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson, 2009