Fried Plantains with Sweet Heat
- 2 fresh limes
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet hot mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish, prepared
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, natural
- Canola oil, for frying
- 3 green plantains
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Dash cayenne pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat 1/2-inch of oil in 12-inch heavy pan.
Cut plantain on diagonal into 1-inch thick pieces, remove peel.
When oil is hot, add the plantains and fry both sides until golden.
Drain on paper bag, and sprinkle with salt, and minced garlic. With a flat bottomed, heat proof, glass bowl, smash plantains evenly flat, embedding garlic into them. Return to hot oil and fry until dark golden brown. Remove, drain again on a paper bag, adding more coarse salt, to taste, the red pepper flakes, the cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lime.
Serve while hot with sweet heat sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri, 2008