Fried Pork and Yucca Balls: Carimanolas
- 1 pound lean pork shoulder, cut into large dice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds yucca, peeled
- 1 red onion, cut into small dice
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, cut into small dice
- 1 red pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Canola oil, for frying
In a saucepot, combine diced pork, lime juice, bay leaf, vinegar, and water. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until the pork is tender, about 45 minutes. Strain the meat, cool, and grind in a meat grinder.
Boil the yucca in salted water until tender. Cool and grind in the meat grinder.
Saute onions, scallions, tomatoes, peppers, and garlic. Add the ground pork. Season. Make egg shaped balls from the yucca dough with your hands. Press a hole into them with your thumb. Fill with the pork mixture. Close the hole with additional dough. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Fill a deep saucepot 1/2 way with canola oil, heat to 375 degrees F. Fry the carimanolas until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Alex Garcia
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine