- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 lemon, zested
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crumbled goat cheese
- Annatto seeds, for garnish, optional
- Small croutons, for garnish
I'd be willing to wager you've never had a salad like this one, and neither have your guests. It's sort of a whimsical play on Caesar salad that defies expectations. Whatever you think of it, this is guaranteed to be a conversation piece.
Quarter the lettuce and wrap the pieces in plastic or seal in a covered container and freeze for 1 to 2 hours.
In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the garlic cloves for 5 minutes; drain. Mince the garlic.
In a small bowl, whisk the oil into the egg yolk. Whisk in the garlic, mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, miso, grated onion, Parmesan, anchovy paste, mustard, and lemon zest. Season the dressing with salt and pepper, to taste. Fold in the crumbled goat cheese.
Place the frozen lettuce on 4 chilled plates. Spoon the dressing over the lettuce and garnish with a sprinkling of annatto seeds and croutons. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Masaharu Morimoto
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray