Fruit in Beer Batter
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more, for dredging
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3/4 cup flat pale ale
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 Bartlett or D'Anjou pears, peeled, cored and each cut in 8 wedges
- Canola oil, for frying
In a small bowl combing the confectioners' sugar and the cinnamon, set aside.
In another mixing bowl, stir together the flour and egg yolks. Gradually stir in the beer. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight (up to 12 hours).
Heat 1-inch canola oil in a skillet to 375 degrees F.
Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and sugar to soft peaks, and fold in.
Recipe courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman