Fruit Skewers with Custard
- One 3-pound small seedless watermelon, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced in half crosswise
- 1 bunch seedless red grapes, removed from stems
- 4 kiwis, peeled, sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1 honeydew melon, seeds scooped out, peeled, cut into 2-inch rectangle shapes
- Sweet White Cloud Dip, recipe follows
- Sweet White Cloud Dip:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Place the watermelon slices on your cutting board and use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out stars from all the slices.
Skewer the fruit by sliding the watermelon stars about halfway up the skewers. Follow with the strawberries, grapes and kiwis. Place the large rectangle piece of honeydew on the bottom as a base. Place standing up on a platter, giving the skewer a little wiggle to get it to stand up straight. Serve with Sweet White Cloud Dip.Sweet White Cloud Dip:
Add the milk to a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk until the mixture is steaming.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow and the sugar is dissolved. Slowly add a few ladles of the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking. Slowly return the tempered mixture to the saucepan while whisking constantly.
Heat the custard over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4 to 6 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.