- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, roughly chopped, juice reserved
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped portabella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) uncooked elbow macaroni with at least 2g fiber per 2-ounce serving
- 1/4 cup shredded fat-free Cheddar cheese
- Cayenne pepper, optional
To make the chili, bring a large pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add all of the ingredients -- including the reserved tomato juice -- except the macaroni, cheese, and optional spice. Stir thoroughly. Cover and cook until the veggies are tender, about 15 minutes, occasionally removing the lid to stir.
Meanwhile, in another large pot, prepare the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Once both are cooked, add the drained pasta to the pot of chili. Mix thoroughly. If you like, season with cayenne pepper, additional chili powder, and additional cumin, to taste. Evenly top each serving with 1 tablespoon of cheese and enjoy!
PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 1 3/4 cups): 297 calories, 2g fat, 637mg sodium, 55.5g carbs, 9.75g fiber, 11.5g sugars, 19g protein