Fusilli Carbonara with Fines Herbes
- 6 quarts water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chervil if available
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces dried fusilli; spaghetti, or gemelli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Setting up. Fill a large (8-quart) pot with the water, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Whisk together the egg yolks and cream in a large stainless-steel mixing bowl. Stir in the herbs, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a generous grind of pepper.
2. Pasta. When the water is at a boil, stir in the fusilli and cook at a steady boil until tender but still firm, 8 to 12 minutes. While the pasta is cooking, warm the egg yolk mixture by briefly holding the bowl over the pot of boiling water and whisking rapidly. Heat the mixture just to lukewarm; don't let the eggs cook. When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and toss well. The egg yolks will cook from the heat of the pasta and form a thick sauce.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.