Gaio Mazio's Pork, ancient recipe from Giulio Cesare's time
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds (1 kg) pork shoulder meat, cubed to 1-inch square
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Red wine, to cover all
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Garum ( fish sauce, use Thai nuoc mam), for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon powdered caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon powdered lovage seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground mint
Heat some olive oil in a pan and then add the meat, apple, and leeks. Add the flour. Let it cook for 5 minutes, turning the meat often.
Add enough red wine to cover the pork. Continue to cook over a low flame. After 2 hours, add the honey, vinegar, black pepper, garum, and spices.
Cook under the same low flame for another 2 or 3 hours, stirring occasionally.