Gaio Mazio's Pork, ancient recipe from Giulio Cesare's time
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds (1 kg) pork shoulder meat, cubed to 1-inch square
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Red wine, to cover all
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Garum ( fish sauce, use Thai nuoc mam), for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon powdered caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon powdered lovage seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground mint
Heat some olive oil in a pan and then add the meat, apple, and leeks. Add the flour. Let it cook for 5 minutes, turning the meat often.
Add enough red wine to cover the pork. Continue to cook over a low flame. After 2 hours, add the honey, vinegar, black pepper, garum, and spices.
Cook under the same low flame for another 2 or 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Caraway-Crusted Pork Chops, Smoked Oyster Dressing Stuffed Pork Chops with Andouille Hollandaise and Smothered Greens, Cajun Pork Tenderloin with Lambic Beer Sauce and Cheesy Spaetzle, Caramel Apple Recipes, Easy Breakfast, Easy Pasta, Apple Cobbler Recipes, Easy Lunch, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes