- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Garnish: blackberry slump, recipe follows
- Special equipment: 15 cone shaped paper cooler cups
Cut 2-inch holes out of the bottom of a large tin foil roasting pan in neat rows, leaving 1 to 2 inches in between the holes. Invert the pan and place paper cooler cups in the holes to hold them upright during freezing.
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan combine the lemon juice, sugar, yolks, egg, and butter. Over medium heat, whisk the mixture constantly until thickened. Strain it into a bowl set over ice and chill it, stirring to thicken slightly. Fold in the whipped cream and pour or pipe into paper cones set in the prepared tin foil roasting pan. Freeze overnight. Peel off the paper and serve the cone flat side down and serve with berries.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 pint blackberries