Game Hens with Spicy Orange Salsa and Bulgur Pilaf
- 6 Cornish Game Hens, about 1 pound each
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 medium white onions, peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups tangerine juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- BULGUR PILAF
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3 ounces vermicelli, broken in small pieces
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup chicken stock, canned broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- SPICY ORANGE SALSA
- 2 oranges, segments finely diced
- 1 lime, segments finely diced
- 1 tangerine, segments finely diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Arbol chile powder
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper. to taste
Place the hens in a large glass bowl. In a blender, puree the garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, orange juice, tangerine juice, and olive oil. Pour the puree over the hens and marinate for a minimum of 4 hours at room temperature, or in the refrigerator, overnight. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the hens in a greased baking dish and spoon the marinade over them. Bake for about 1/2 hour, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking, basting occasionally, for another 1/2 hour or until crispy. Remove the hens from the oven and cover with foil. Set aside for 20 minutes.
Serve with bulgur pilaf and spicy orange salsa.BULGUR PILAF
Combine the bulgur and water in a bowl and set aside until reconstituted, about 10 minutes. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, over a medium high heat. Saute the onion until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the vermicelli and pine nuts and saute until golden. Stir in the reconstituted bulgur, chicken stock, salt, and pepper.
Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, about 10 minutes.
Yield: 4 to 6 servingsSPICY ORANGE SALSA
Combine all of the above ingredients in a small glass mixing bowl.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.