Game Time Chili Dogs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 to 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans petite cut diced tomatoes
- One 15 1/2-ounce can red kidney beans
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 8 hot dogs (Bobby likes the ones from The Meat Hook in NYC, but any good-quality hot dogs will work)
- 8 whole wheat hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt, for garnish, optional
Heat the oil in large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, bell peppers, jalapeno, onions, chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Add the ground chicken. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended and the chili begin to thicken, about 1 hour.
Bring a pot of water to a low boil. Add the dogs and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and place each hot dog in a bun. Top with a generous serving of the chili. Garnish with the cheese and scallions and an optional dollop of Greek yogurt.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.