Garden Potato Salad
- 1 lemon
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh parsley, plus 2 tablespoons chopped leaves
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Kosher salt
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon whole-grain or dijon mustard
- 3 scallions, minced, whites and greens separated
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small Kirby cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Peel a 2-inch-long strip of zest from the lemon; tie into a bundle with the parsley and thyme sprigs and bay leaf using kitchen twine. Put in a saucepan with the garlic, potatoes, 2 tablespoons salt and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Add the carrots and cook until the potatoes are tender and the carrots are crisp-tender, about 5 more minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water, then drain the vegetables and discard the herb bundle. Let cool.
Meanwhile, finely grate 2 teaspoons lemon zest and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice into a large bowl. Whisk in the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, scallion whites, chopped parsley, reserved cooking water, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper.
Per serving: Calories 175; Fat 4 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 4 mg; Sodium 712 mg; Carbohydrate 30 g; Fiber 5g; Protein 6 g
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul
Thank you! your flag was submitted.