- 1 dried ancho or guajillo, seeded and torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
Soak chile in warm water in a 1-cup glass measure until softened, about 30 minutes, then drain.
Finely chop cilantro and garlic together in a food processor. Add chile, lime juice, sugar, and salt, then process until finely chopped. Add butter and blend until smooth, then spoon into a ramekin or roll into a cylinder using parchment paper.
Cooks' note: Garlic-ancho butter keeps, tightly covered and chilled for 1 week
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine