- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (15 by 3 1/2-inch) loaf Italian bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mince and mash garlic to a paste with salt using rounded end of a heavy knife. Stir together butter, oil, and garlic paste in a bowl until smooth, then stir in parsley.
Without cutting completely through bottom, cut bread diagonally into 1-inch thick slices with a serrated knife, then spread garlic butter between slices,
Wrap loaf in foil and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Open foil and bake 5 minutes more.
Cook's note: Bread can be spread with garlic butter 8 hours ahead and chilled, wrapped in foil. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
For a brighter flavor, you can substitute 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil for 1 tablespoon of parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine