- 2 bulbs garlic, plus 2 cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 6 slices rustic country-style bread, cut 3/8-inch thick
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Using a serrated knife, cut the top 1/4 off the bulbs of garlic. Place the bulbs in a small baking dish. Drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper, and cover with foil. Bake until the garlic is tender when pierced with fork, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool a bit. Squeeze the base of the bulbs to extract as much of the garlic pulp from the skins as possible. Season the garlic, to taste, with salt and pepper, stir in the chopped parsley and chives, and reserve. Reserve the oil in the pan also. Toast the bread on both sides, either over an outdoor grill, under the broiler, or in a toaster, until golden. Cut each piece of toast in half. Rub 1 side of the toasted bread with the whole cloves of garlic. Brush the toast with the reserved oil, and then spread the garlic paste over it. Place the toasts on a platter. Garnish with sprigs of parsley, and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.