Gee, Your Beet Smells Terrific
- 3 medium-size beets, tops trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon (optional), stems discarded before measuring, chopped finely
- 1 ounce strong goat cheese, diced into 1/8-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts or walnuts
- 2 Belgian endives, separated and washed (If you can not find endives, replace with the very inside section of a head of romaine lettuce or good old reliable flaky butter crackers)
Bake whole, unskinned beets for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 425 degrees F (longer if they are more than 3 inches in diameter). To avoid a messy oven, place a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack below to catch the natural juice drippings.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Peel off and discard skin. Then slice and dice beets finely.
Combine oil, vinegar, orange juice, pepper, and tarragon in a bowl. Add beets, cheese, and nuts and toss gently.
To serve, spoon a tablespoon of beet salad onto each endive leaf.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.