Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced anchovies
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- One 8-ounce jar Italian tuna packed in oil, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup 1/2-inch diced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup seeded 1/2-inch diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon shallots, finely minced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Toasted Garlic and Herb Breadcrumbs, recipe follows
- Ricotta salata, for garnish
- Toasted Garlic and Herb Breadcrumbs:
- 1/2 loaf day-old country-style bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Cut off the top 1/2-inch from the core side of the tomatoes. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and flesh surrounding them, leaving the exterior intact in a bowl shape.
In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, vinegar, anchovies and garlic. Doing this will help disperse the anchovies evenly with the rest of the mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine the tuna, cucumbers, parsley, olives, tomatoes, capers, onions and shallots. Season with salt and pepper and dress in the anchovy mixture. Add more olive oil as needed to moisten the mixture, but it should not be wet.
Divide the filling among the tomatoes and top with some Toasted Garlic and Herb Breadcrumbs and shaved ricotta salata.Toasted Garlic and Herb Breadcrumbs:
Cut the crusts from the bread and tear it into small pieces. Place in a food processor and pulse until a coarse-crumb consistency is reached. In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toss to coat and continue to cook, stirring constantly. When the breadcrumbs begin to brown, stir in the parsley and garlic, and toast until golden brown, an additional minute. Remove from the pan and cool.
Recipe courtesy of Geoffrey Zakarian
A Stuffed Picnic: Tuna and Artichoke Stuffed Tomatoes, Red Pepper, Feta and Chick Pea Stuffed Zucchini, Nut and Brown Sugar Stuffed Macintosh Apples
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray