- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped canned jalapenos
- 1 (12-ounce) container whipped cream cheese
- Green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Finely chopped, red, orange, and yellow peppers, for garnish
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a standard sized muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs, then add the milk, melted butter, and jalapenos and stir well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
Put the cream cheese in a bowl and mix in a few drops of food coloring until it is evenly tinted the shade of green you like. Fold in the chives. Frost the muffins and garnish with the chopped peppers.