Angel Food Cake with Espresso Mascarpone Cream
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) purchased angel food cake
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Stir the water and espresso powder in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the mascarpone. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream in another large bowl, while slowly adding powdered sugar, until soft peaks form. Using a large rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture to lighten. Then fold the remaining whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
Cut the angel food cake into 16 (1-inch thick) wedges. Reserve any remaining cake for another use. Brush 1 side of each wedge of cake with the liqueur. Arrange 2 wedges of cake on each plate. Dollop the espresso cream atop each wedge of cake. Dust with the cocoa powder and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro