Avocado Hummus with Crispy Pita Chips
- Pita Chips:
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili or dried chipotle powder
- Zest of 2 large limes, optional
- 2 whole wheat or plain pita breads, split in half horizontally
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large or 2 small avocadoes, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 packed cup arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the pita chips: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, chili powder and lime zest if using. Brush the mixture on both sides of the bread halves using a pastry brush. Sprinkle the breads with the salt and pepper. Cut each bread half into 8 wedges and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
For the hummus: Combine the beans, avocado, arugula, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Gradually add the olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the hummus into a serving bowl and serve the pita chips alongside.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis