Baked Mashed Potatoes with Peas, Parmesan Cheese and Breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature, for greasing the baking dish
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Set aside.
For the potatoes: In a large saucepan, combine the butter, salt and potatoes. Add enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the same pot. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Mix in the mozzarella, milk, Parmesan and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish.
Using a large spoon, make a 4-inch well in the center of the potatoes and fill with the cooked peas.
For the topping: Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the mashed potatoes (can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill).
Drizzle the top with olive oil and bake until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay