Brussels Sprout-Leaf Salad
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 head Belgian endive, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted* see Cook's Note
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
Salad: Using a small paring knife, remove the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Reserve the cores for another use. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprout leaves and cook for 1 minute. Drain and put in a bowl of iced water, then transfer to a colander to drain. Put the Brussels sprout leaves, arugula, endive, and almonds into a large salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss together. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve.
*To toast the almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven until lightly toasted, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before using.
The unused core of the Brussels sprouts can be used in soups and stir-fries.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis