Burgers a la Pizzaiola
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup (5 or 6) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds ground sirloin beef
- 8 sourdough rolls, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Topping suggestions: shredded cheese, fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, sliced tomatoes, marinara sauce, prosciutto, sliced olives, roasted red bell peppers, lettuce leaves, arugula, ketchup, pesto
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
In a food processor, pulse together the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, cheeses, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Process until blended. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the beef and, using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until combined. Form the mixture into 8 (4-inch diameter) patties, each about 3/4-inch thick. Grill each side until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Brush the cut side of the rolls with olive oil and grill until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
Place the burgers on the bottom half of the rolls and add desired toppings. Add the top half of the rolls and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Brad Sorenson