Caramelized Onion and Grapefruit Salad
- Caramelized onions:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
For the caramelized onions: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For the salad: Peel and trim the ends from each grapefruit. Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Free the segments and add them to a large salad bowl. Add the lettuce, fennel, cucumber, scallions, and thyme.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Arrange the caramelized onions on top and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis