Carrot and Yam Puree
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds yams, ends trimmed, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
In a saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. Add the carrots, yams, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes. Using a ladle, remove 2 cups of the cooking liquid and reserve. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until slightly chunky, adding the reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cook's Note: The carrot mixture can also be drained in a colander and working in batches, blended in a food processor or blender.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis