Carrot Fries with Lemon-Mint Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups safflower or vegetable oil
- 6 large egg whites, beaten
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch long sticks, each about 1/2-inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
For the dip: In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, mint, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper together until blended. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
For the fries: In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. (If you dont have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 3 minutes.)
Place the egg whites in a medium bowl. Place the panko breadcrumbs in another medium bowl. Working in batches, drop the carrot sticks into the egg whites and turn to coat. Remove the carrot sticks, allowing any excess egg white to drip back into the bowl. Drop the carrot sticks in the panko; toss gently to coat.
Working in batches, fry the carrot sticks until deep brown, 3 to 4 minutes, turning and separating with a wooden spoon and adjusting the temperature to maintain 350 degrees F. Drain on paper towels.
Place a bowl of the dip in the center of a platter. Sprinkle the fries with salt and pepper. Arrange the fries around the dip, and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.