Cauliflower and Bacon Gratin
- FOOD AND FUN
- Unsalted butter, for dish, plus 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 slices day-old sourdough bread or 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked until crispy and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated Gruyere, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- Olive oil, for drizzling
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, blend the bread until it forms into crumbs.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring constantly until all the butter has been absorbed and the bread crumbs are toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream and flour. Add the capers, bacon and 1/2 cup of the Gruyere. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and toss with the cream mixture. Pour the cauliflower mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis