Crispy Parmesan Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups (5 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Lemon Butter, at room temperature, recipe follows
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 10 ounces smoked salmon or prosciutto
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 lemon, zested
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the butter. Using fingertips or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the Parmesan and green onions. Add the buttermilk and olive oil. Stir until the mixture forms a dough. Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet in 12 equal-sized pieces. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden. Cool the biscuits for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Slice each biscuit in half and spread the bottom half with 1 teaspoon of lemon butter. Add some arugula leaves and place a small slice of smoked salmon on top. Add the top half of the biscuit and serve.
In a small bowl, mash the butter and lemon zest together using a fork. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 1/2 cup
Prep Time: 1 minute
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis, 2008