Fried Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 zucchini blossoms* see Cook's Note
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Serving Suggestion: serve with your favorite marinara sauce or vinaigrette
- Cook's Note: Zucchini blossoms can be found at farmer's markets and specialty grocery stores. As an alternative, try using baby bell peppers. Cut off the tops and remove the seeds. Fill with the cheese mixture and dip the cut end in flour before dipping in the batter.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, water and salt until smooth. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine the goat cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, basil, and green onion. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons filling into each blossom. Close the blossoms and gently twist the petals to seal.
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. (If you don't have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 1 minute.) Dip the stuffed zucchini blossoms in the batter and allow any excess batter to drip off. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Allow the cooked blossoms to drain on paper towels.
Season with salt and serve with your favorite marinara sauce or vinaigrette.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Fried Zucchini Blossoms with Grilled Vegetable Panzanella and Baby Arugula Salad, Fried Zucchini, Fried Zucchini Flowers with Buffalo Ricotta: Fiori di Zucca Fritte con Ricotta di Bufala e Pomodori, Shrimp Cocktail Recipes, Chicken Wing Recipes, Easy Appetizer Recipes, Meatball Appetizer Recipes, Zucchini, Christmas Appetizer Recipes