- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 Fuji or Pippin apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Cook's Note)
In a medium bowl, toss together the apple slices and safflower oil. Grill until lightly charred, about 2 minutes on each side. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and ginger. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the grilled apple slices.
For the cream: In a 1-quart saucepan, combine the maple syrup, cream and butter over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook, until the mixture turns golden, about 4 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool slightly. Add the mascarpone cheese and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Divide the apple slices among 4 small plates. Drizzle with the cream. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts and serve.
Cook's Note: To toast the hazelnuts, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool completely before using.