Grilled Herbed Tofu with Avocado Cream
- One 12-ounce container extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 6-ounce ripe Haas avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 packed cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 large lime, zested
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tofu: Place a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. (If not using a nonstick grill pan, oil the grill lightly before cooking the tofu to prevent sticking.)
Cut the tofu in half diagonally to make 2 large triangles. Cut each large triangle in half to make 4 smaller triangles. Cut through each triangle horizontally to make 8 triangles. Brush on each side with olive oil. Season with the herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Grill the tofu until light golden, 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter.
For the cream: In a food processor, blend the avocado, parsley, broth, olive oil, lime juice, garlic and lime zest until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the cream over the tofu and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis