Lemon Chicken Soup with Spaghetti
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (2-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind, optional
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces, *see Cook's Note
- 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken, preferably breast meat
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
In a large stockpot, bring the chicken broth, lemon juice, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind, if using, to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the carrots and simmer until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the broken pasta and cook until the pasta is tender, for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and the Parmesan rind and discard. Stir in 1/2 of the cheese and the parsley. Season with salt, to taste. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
*Cook's Note: You can use any short pasta from your pantry as a substitute for spaghetti.