Mediterranean Farro Salad
- 10 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into thin strips (about 4 ounces or 1 cup)
- 3 ounces Parmesan, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small bunch chives, snipped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and simmer until the farro is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the cooked green beans to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 2 minutes. Drain the green beans.
Once the farro has cooled add the green beans, olives, red pepper, Parmesan, and chives. Stir to combine. In a small bowl mix together the sherry vinegar, olive oil, mustard, pepper, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Pour the sherry vinaigrette over the farro salad. Toss to combine and serve.
SERVINGS: 4 (SIDE); Calories: 334; Total Fat 15 grams; Saturated Fat: 3.5 grams; Protein: 13 grams; Total carbohydrates: 38 grams; Sugar: 5 grams Fiber: 7 grams; Cholesterol: 13 milligrams; Sodium: 888 milligrams
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay