Mussels, Clams and Shrimp in Spicy Broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 24 small Littleneck clams (about 2 1/2 pounds total), scrubbed
- 24 mussels (about 1 1/2 pounds total), debearded
- 20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined, butterflied
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- Warm crusty bread
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and crushed red pepper. Saute until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down and the flavors blend, about 5 minutes. Stir in the clams. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the mussels. Cover and cook until the clams and mussels open, about 5 minutes longer.
Using a tongs, transfer the opened shellfish to serving bowls (discard any shellfish that do not open). Add the shrimp and basil to the simmering tomato broth. Simmer until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Divide the shrimp and tomato broth among the bowls. Serve with the warm bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.