Neapolitan Calamari and Shrimp Salad
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 pound calamari, whole bodies and tentacles
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide
- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced lengthwise, about 1-inch wide
- 2 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 ounces arugula (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 cups chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl.
Meanwhile, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
Drizzle the fish, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the calamari and shrimp, just until cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes a side. Grill the zucchini and eggplant until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Grill the tomatoes just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes.
Add the orzo, cannellini beans, arugula, basil, and parsley to the bowl. Cut the calamari bodies into 1-inch rings. Cut the zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes into roughly about 1-inch cubes. Add the vegetables and calamari to the bowl with the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Finally, add the shrimp on top of the salad. Gently spoon the salad into a serving bowl and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell