- Kosher salt
- 1 pound penne
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, such as cremini, button or shiitake, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup medium green olives (about 18), pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- One 10-ounce or two 5-ounce cans tuna in olive oil, such as Tonnino, drained
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Place the pasta and 1/2 cup cheese in a large bowl and toss until coated.
In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms begin to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the olives, tomato paste, capers, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the tuna. Using a wooden spoon, break up the tuna into 1-inch pieces. Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the garlic and discard.
Pour the tuna mixture over the pasta. Add the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the basil, and toss until coated, using the reserved cooking liquid to loosen the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller