Ricotta and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cones
- Ice Cream
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup simple syrup, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 sugar cones (recommended: Keebler)
- 2/3 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Special Equipment: a 1 1/2-quart capacity ice cream maker, 4 glass tumblers to hold sugar cones, a 2-ounce ice cream scoop
- Simple syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
For the Ricotta and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and milk until smooth. Add the simple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Pour the ricotta mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the chocolate chips 10 minutes before the end of freezing.
For the Sugar Cones: Stand 3 sugar cones in each of the 4 glass tumblers. Mix the chocolate-hazelnut spread and chocolate chips together in a small bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the pan does not touch the water. Stir until the chocolate chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. Spoon 2 teaspoons of chocolate mixture into each sugar cone. Place the glasses in the freezer for 10 to15 minutes until the chocolate becomes firm.
To serve: Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, place 1 scoop of ice cream on top of each sugar cone. Serve immediately.Simple syrup:
In a saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and allow the syrup to cool.
Yield: 1 cup
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Anne Thornton