Roasted Eggplants and Tomatoes
- 4 Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 4 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup dried plain bread crumbs
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Line a heavy large baking sheet with foil. Cut cross-hatch marks over the cut side of the eggplants. Arrange the eggplants and the Roma tomatoes cut side up on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Whisk 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 teaspoons of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of oregano in a small bowl to blend. Stir in the diced tomatoes. Season with salt. Spoon the oil mixture over the eggplants. Sprinkle the eggplants with salt and pepper.
Bake until the vegetables are tender and the bread crumb topping is brown, about 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis